Monday 24 December 2018

Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year


A wonderful Christmas Eve morning up here at Poachers Hideaway, and what better way to enjoy it than to pull on a pair of Wellies and go for a meander around our one hundred and fifty acres of outstanding natural beauty.


Willow lodge (our fishing lodge) in the morning sun, affectionately known as Fishermen’s Widow Lodge.



A little frosty underfoot toward Belchford village…



We are often asked the reason we are named Poachers Hideaway…
It all stems from the county anthem of Lincolnshire of course! Well the unofficial one anyway…

"The Lincolnshire Poacher"

Penned around 1776, a traditional English folk song we in Lincolnshire are fondly proud of, it deals with the joys of poaching!


When I was bound apprentice in famous Lincolnshire,
I serv'd my master truly, for nearly seven odd year,
Till I took up to poaching, as you shall quickly hear.
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

As me and my companions were setting up a snare,
The gamekeeper was watching us – for him we did not care,
For we can wrestle and fight, my boys, and jump o'er anywhere.
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

As me and my companions were setting four or five,
And taking on 'em up again, we took a hare alive,
We plopped her into my bag, my boys, and through the woods did steer.
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

We threw him over our shoulders, and wondered through the town,
We called into a neighbour's house, and sold her for a crown,
We sold her for a crown, my boys, but I did not tell you where.
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

Success to every gentleman that lives in Lincolnshire (Or: Bad luck to every magistrate)
Success to every poacher that wants to sell a hare,
Bad luck to every gamekeeper that will not sell his deer.
Oh, 'tis my delight on a shining night, in the season of the year.

The song is said to have been a great favourite of King George IV.



We have had some wonderful bright nights up here lately, not a cloud in the sky and a blanket of stars, we are very lucky to have very little light pollution here at Poachers Hideaway, making it a perfect location for astrophotography or just generally gazing above at the heavenly glory.  


The road to Poachers Hideaway…
Photo by James Faulkner
(A Poachers Friend)

Please take a look at James website and see the wonderful ceramics he has produced.

“I take inspiration for my work from discarded objects and surfaces created by the  environment and time. My work presents a snapshot along the journey of an object, from new, to its eventual rejection and abandonment to nature, an object's slow decay into nothingness brings into being a beauty of its own, and tells the story of its existence.
I use these inspirations to create complex surfaces upon minimal geometric forms, that together evoke their own narrative, and engender a calming presence that brings balance  between form and surface.”



Merry Christmas everyone from all at Poachers Hideaway ! 






No comments:

Post a Comment